Thursday, July 3, 2014

DAY 1 & 2: Oxford & Aberystwyth

I've just got back from my 2 week long UK road trip with my parents and bro and it was such a therapeutic getaway. We covered Oxford, Aberytwyth, Liverpool, Lake District, Glasgow, Edinburgh, Leeds, Brighton and London and spent about 2-3 days in each town/city. Ever since my last visit in 2012, I fell in love with UKfor their arts culture- especially their architecture and street performers (who are so talented!). So it goes without saying that I was really thrilled to embark on this trip for 16 days to immerse myself in all of it again. 
 Of course, the part that we all dread the most- 13 hour flight.........
Just looking from here is enough to take my breath away
 Met up with my brother at the airport before driving off to our first stop- Oxford for a quick meal. My dad actually booked a Ford Focus but got upgraded to a Volkswagen (whoop) but we spent a good 15 minutes trying to figure out how the car works hahahaha.
 It was quite a pity that we only stayed here for a few hours if not we could have gone for the harry potter tour at oxford university where they filmed some of the scenes :(
 Selfie at our pit stop while on the way to Aberystwyth, Wales
Outside our little bed & breakfast place which was quite an unpleasant stay but I won't complain
Aberystwyth is a tiny seaside town and the beach was just a short 2 mins walk away from our b&b so we couldn't wait to get there after settling in
 I couldn't see half the photos I was taking back there because the sun was so glaring but I thought this turned out really nice.
Even though this town is so small, it was just so beautiful in its own simplicity. I love the ocean and really felt like I could live here forever despite how backward the lifestyle here is and how the whole town could easily be covered in an hour or 2.
 4 asians sitting on the floor and sharing 1 box of fish and chips hahahahaha, was really yummy though :P
Couldn't resist taking off my shoes and walking by the beach with the cold waters kissing my toes
 A hearty english breakfast before setting off to explore
 We decided to drive around town a little on our 2nd day, hoping to find interesting attractions or activities in town but it really is a small town with nothing much to do. We managed to see some goats though, that we got way too excited over but they are so lovely and we never ever get to see farms while driving in singapore, only construction sites and high rise buildings.
 Stepped into this organic grocery store out of curiosity and ended up feeling like I want to buy the whole shop. Spotted this note which I thought was soooooo cute :)
 They had a organic cafe just right above which we dined at for lunch and it was hands down, the BEST MEAL I had in UK 
Since we had so much time on our hands, we decided to go to the playground to relive our childhood. We were honestly quite terrified that my dad would fall and no one would be able to drive us around hahahaha
 What to do with our leftovers? Feed the seagulls.
Because it's summer time here, the sun usually sets at 9/10pm in the evening and we decided to sit together by the beach with our tubs of Ben & Jerry's to watch the sun slowly set into horizon. It felt so liberating to just sit there and let time pass without a care in the world, that moment was so precious and perfect to end off our stay in Aberystwyth.

No comments:

Post a Comment